Saturday, September 3, 2011

Irene in the Outer Banks

I must begin by apologizing profusely that I have been absent from the blog for a couple of days, particularly yesterday--missing a Fun Friday is a serious offense. I hope my loving readers will find it in their hearts to forgive me as I have been traveling north to join the team in the Outer Banks to work on hurricane relief.

This morning I have been exploring the area our crew is working in today to get a sense of the devastation of Irene. I will post several photos here, but please visit our Facebook to see the entire album.

The damage here seems to be far more water-induced than wind, hitting some neighborhoods harder than others. In the less fortunate areas (those more vulnerable to water damage), a walk down the road will reveal limbs and tree debris neatly piled at least chest-high in front of every other house. In the yards water-logged furniture and household items sunbathe--either in hopes of drying their way back to functionality or awaiting their pickup by a city garbage truck.

Having grown up in South Carolina and doing hurricane relief in the past (namely Katrina), what leaves a strong impression on me is the attitude of the homeowners. The equally neat and enormous stacks of debris have been collected by the locals themselves--there is no concept of helplessness here. Locals' immediate response upon Irene's damage seems to be one part can-do and one part community. It is no unusual sight to find neighbors aiding each other in removing wet furniture from their homes, chainsawing fallen trees, and even gutting water-damaged areas of their houses. That's not all. The most impressive part: I have yet to hear a local complain. As a matter of fact, I've even seen several smiling. It is an honor to be working for people like that.

All of our drying equipment for the water damages we're tackling.



In this neighborhood, every single yard was littered with furniture and household items sunbathing while awaiting either restoration or the garbage truck. 


Representing.


One of the houses the crew was working on this morning.


A fairly normal sight here.


Josh working hard with his Breast Cancer Foundation work gloves.


See what you can do to help by visiting my last post: How You Can Help.

Follow us on Twitter!


Sandy Hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment